Comments : Comments Off on Access Granted
Tags : 3months, Access Granted, Ankit Sehgal, Brenda Wallace, Bruno Lago, Catalyst Cloud, David Clearwater, dictionary, Laura Reitel, Lightning Lab, Mibiz, Mosaic, Nick Churchouse, nz startup of the week, nzsl, R9 Accelerator, Startup Weekend
Categories : Uncategorized
The great folks at the Access Granted podcast published a wide-ranging interview with me today on “the mosaic of my life”, which you can listed to below:
I cover a quite a lot of ground, including:
- Why shit just keeps getting better
- Startup Weekends and how you can create a business in 54 hours
- The Dictionary of New Zealand Sign Language and other online dictionaries
- Women in startups
- Lightning Lab XX
- The R9 Accelerator, and how to encourage governments to take more innovation risk
- Why in an accelerator, failure can be a win
- And a number of great folks get a mention: 3Months, Brenda Wallace, Bruno Lago, Catalyst Cloud, Laura Reitel, the Mibiz team, Nick Churchouse, David Clearwater
- NZ Startup of the Week
- Ankit Sehgal, the founder of NZ Tech Startups Ecosystem
Enjoy, and thanks to Mike and Raj!
Comments : Comments Off on The Startup Ecosystem in New Zealand (video)
Tags : brain drain, brain gain, Brian Monahan, distribution, KEA, Kiwi Connect, Lightning Lab, Linc Gasking, Matthew Monahan, Number 8 wire, Startup Weekend, Yoseph Ayele
Categories : video
An introduction to the startup ecosystem in New Zealand and particularly Wellington.
I was invited recently to attend a workshop organised by Brian Monahan, Matthew Monahan, and Yoseph Ayele who have recently decided to come to New Zealand and help turbo-charge our local startup scene. The purpose of the workshop was to help strengthen ties between California and New Zealand, with a number of people from the tech and investment scenes present from both regions.
Linc Gasking and I ran a session introducing people to the local startup scene, mainly by way of an informal conversation. Here is the result:
Some of the topics we cover:
- Strengths and weaknesses of the local scene
- Why the “number 8 wire mentality” is holding us back
- How we need to learn how to distribute and scale better
- Kiwis care a lot, and why that’s important
- The “brain drain” is really a brain gain
- And lots more. Enjoy.