An introduction to the startup ecosystem in New Zealand and particularly Wellington.
I was invited recently to attend a workshop organised by Brian Monahan, Matthew Monahan, and Yoseph Ayele who have recently decided to come to New Zealand and help turbo-charge our local startup scene. The purpose of the workshop was to help strengthen ties between California and New Zealand, with a number of people from the tech and investment scenes present from both regions.
Linc Gasking and I ran a session introducing people to the local startup scene, mainly by way of an informal conversation. Here is the result:
Some of the topics we cover:
- Strengths and weaknesses of the local scene
- Why the “number 8 wire mentality” is holding us back
- How we need to learn how to distribute and scale better
- Kiwis care a lot, and why that’s important
- The “brain drain” is really a brain gain
- And lots more. Enjoy.